nrichment in R.E. is a strength at Newminster and provides a basis for students’ spiritual, moral, social and cultural development.
- Art workshop ‘The Buddha within’
- Buddhist monk visit to answer questions and do a guided meditation
- Faith through art printing workshop at The Laing Art Gallery for Y6 students
- Gurdwara guided tour and Sikh buffet experience for Y5
Year 8 Hindu Temple Priest
Kirtida visited our school over two afternoons to show the students a Hindu wedding – the Hindu Puja ceremony; and to explain Hindu beliefs about Karma, reincarnation and to answer any questions the students had.
Some quotes from our students:
- “I think the Hindu priest was very inspiring as I am a Hindu myself. I was very interested to learn
more about my culture and see what my friends
- thought about it! We learnt about Diwali, the festival of lights, and lots of music and songs from India. We learnt about Karma, and Kirtida told us an amazing story about a little girl who remembered her past life! We learnt many fascinating things and it was truly an experience to remember!”
“I really enjoyed the Hindu Priest’s presentation, as we were taught things we might not have had the chance to see during an RE lesson. I loved listening to the Hindu music and listening to the different instruments. I also found the Hindu wedding ceremony and Puja really interesting and fun to watch. Overall this was a great experience!